Saturday, August 31, 2013

My Baby Bat Years

The story of how I became a Goth.

I have always loved to read. I have also always loved vampires. I used to go to my local library to get books in the teen fiction section. One day in 5th grade I came across a book titled: Vampire Kisses. I was instantly interested.
The book is about a Goth girl named Raven who loves vampires as much as I do. I instantly fell in love with Raven. She was my role model. She wore black lipstick, dark makeup, knee high Demonia boots, and always stuck up for herself.
Because I always have loved things that are dark, this made me realize what I should do. I was just like Raven, so why not be Goth too?
My parents wouldn't allow me to wear black makeup of any kind, nor black nail polish and clothes. So I wore silver. Everyday I put on silver lipstick, eyeliner, eye shadow, etc. I always grew up listening to metal and rock, so that wasn't hard.
After a while, when my parents began to grow apart, I slowly started getting darker. I began painting my nails black, then black eyeliner. Soon I was a full on Baby Bat. I was the stereotypical Goth.
I never had internet until 8th or 9th grade. Once I did, I began to research. I looked up the Goth subculture, Goth music, and what it means to be a true Goth. I began to grow out of my Baby Bat stage. I got my own combat boots and wore black all the time.
There are many types of Goth. Such as Cyber Goth, Romantic Goth, Deathrock, Lolita Goth,  and Vampire Goth. But I like some things from many of these, so why put myself in a category within another category?
Now I have to wear uniforms for school but still manage to express myself with my jewelry, hair, makeup, and shoes.
So if you are a Baby Bat, don't fret! We were all Baby Bat's at one point in time. And they shouldn't be made fun of, they are just taking an interest and learning as they go.

Be yourself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment